[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Behind NAT

Carlos Chavez cursor at telecomabmex.com
Mon Feb 28 14:23:59 MST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:03:30 -0500, sammy ominsky wrote
> Hi all,
>
> I've done quite a bit of reading, and I see that it's going to be
> difficult, but as a last-ditch effort before implementing a
> suggestion I don't like at all, I figured I'd ask...
>
> Has anyone successfully put an asterisk box on an internal network
> behind a NAT device and been able to connect with SIP from outside?
> The real point behind all this is to implement QoS for the voice
> traffic, and putting a third box in front of the asterisk and NAT
> boxes has been deemed "too expensive".
>
> Currently, asterisk has a public IP, as does the NAT box behind
> which all the office machines sit.  If it can be done, the NAT box
> would be the best place to do the QoS, so why not ask, right?

     I have serveral servers running this way.

     Asterisk can be behind a NAT as long as you redirect all the necessary
ports to the server from the gateway.  The best way to do that is to put the *
server on the DMZ, but if that is not possible just redirect the ports needed
for SIP, IAX2 and RTP to the server.

     In the sip.conf file make sure you edit the externip and localnet options
to reflect your configuration.  Externip should be the external public IP.

--
Carlos Chavez
Director de Tecnología