[Asterisk-Users] Recommendation for dialplan in case of DDoS atta cks?

Howard Lowndes lannet at lannet.com.au
Mon Feb 28 12:56:48 MST 2005

Primary * box detects DD0S -> runs:

asterisk -rx "database put PANIC DDOS YES"

and have your dialplan look for that database family/key being set to
determine which path it takes.

When the primary * box detects that the DD0S is over -> runs:

asterisk -rx "database del PANIC DDOS"

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 06:40, Colin Anderson wrote:
> I'm trying to formulate a strategy for our interconnected Asterisk IAX peers
> to failover to the PSTN in the event of a DDoS. We currently use them like
> this:
>
> DID--->PRI--->Primary Asterisk--->IAX--->On-site Asterisk--->SIP
>
> This works fine, and everyone is happy. One of my concerns, though, is if we
> get DDoS'd - which happens probably once every couple of years. I'd like to
> have the dialplan failover to PSTN to shunt calls to the PSTN--->User's cell
> number in the case of a DDoS attack.
>
> My current thinking is K.I.S.S - just put the user's cell as the next step
> in the dialplan. However, I'd like for this to be controllable - when things
> are working OK, I don't want the calls being routed to the cells *at all*. I
> also don't want to have an extensions.conf and an extensions_emergency.conf
> and do the _emergency as an commented out include. I'd like for it to be
> automatic i.e. Asterisk detects Internet latency is above a certain
> threshold, then automagically does the cell thing.
>
> Any suggestions? I fooled around in Google for about a half hour on this,
> and of course the Wiki was no help. TIA
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates;
Your Linux people <http://www.lannetlinux.com>
"When you just want a system that works, you choose Linux;
when you want a system that just works, you choose Microsoft."