[Asterisk-Users] Recommendation for dialplan in case of DDoS atta cks?

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Mon Feb 28 12:40:32 MST 2005

I'm trying to formulate a strategy for our interconnected Asterisk IAX peers
to failover to the PSTN in the event of a DDoS. We currently use them like
this:

DID--->PRI--->Primary Asterisk--->IAX--->On-site Asterisk--->SIP

This works fine, and everyone is happy. One of my concerns, though, is if we
get DDoS'd - which happens probably once every couple of years. I'd like to
have the dialplan failover to PSTN to shunt calls to the PSTN--->User's cell
number in the case of a DDoS attack.

My current thinking is K.I.S.S - just put the user's cell as the next step
in the dialplan. However, I'd like for this to be controllable - when things
are working OK, I don't want the calls being routed to the cells *at all*. I
also don't want to have an extensions.conf and an extensions_emergency.conf
and do the _emergency as an commented out include. I'd like for it to be
automatic i.e. Asterisk detects Internet latency is above a certain
threshold, then automagically does the cell thing.

Any suggestions? I fooled around in Google for about a half hour on this,
and of course the Wiki was no help. TIA