[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk network architecture

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Mon Feb 28 11:13:08 MST 2005

>I'd like to find a way to have my asterisk server in a DMZ protected
>from outside and not directly on the internal network. Is there any
>recommended architecture ?

One of my current installs is a DMZ with an * server protected from outside
and inside with Monowall:

http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/

The Asterisk server talks IAX over the Net to a primary Asterisk server that
provides PSTN connectivity; SIP is used inside the LAN. Asterisk is
sandwiched between the two monowalls and it works great.

Basically, Monowall rocks. Brain dead easy install and boots off a CD; get's
it's config from a user-editable XML file on a floppy. I especially like the
traffic shaper which seems to work fine. My only quibble is that it is
extremely bitchy about the traffic rules, they have to be set up *just* so,
or they won't work. The first time I set it up, I had to mess about with a
port scanner and sniffer to figure out that it was working. But once you get
used to it, it's a no brainer.

hth