[Asterisk-Users] How does the g.729 registration program work?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Feb 25 11:32:26 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 09:25 -0800, Mik Cheez wrote:
> There is an open source version of the license:
> <http://www.readytechnology.co.uk/open/g729/INSTALL-041103.txt>
>
> You can view the licensing information at the following:
> <http://www.intel.com/software/products/ipp/>
>
> more details can be found on http://www.voip-info.org

http://www.intel.com/software/products/ipp/speech_code_lin_eula.htm

And in section 3.E of the license above listed, you still must obtain
licenses from the patent holders.

Also, arguably, section 8. removes the ability to use in most phone
systems.

While it MAY be highly unlikely that you get prosecuted for using the
code on your home machine. But if you start to scale up to any
significant port usage, you may find yourself battling to not lose the
company on a simple licensable part.

Not to mention the fact that you will possibly get flamed for not having
gone the legal and community building route of buying from Digium.