[Asterisk-Users] SIP Errors

Race Vanderdecken asteriskusers at codetyrant.com
Fri Feb 25 08:27:49 MST 2005

Hmmm,

Looking directly at the .../channels/chan_sip.c code does not get any
clues.

Switch( resp )

   case 480: /* Temporarily Unavailable */
   case 404: /* Not Found */
   case 410: /* Gone */
   case 400: /* Bad Request */
   case 500: /* Server error */
   case 503: /* Service Unavailable */
          if (owner)
              ast_queue_control(p->owner, AST_CONTROL_CONGESTION);
          break;

Basically the code says that "something happened that we have not
written code to deal with the problem so lump it in with other things we
don't handle and tell the SIP device on the other then, "Doh!"

I found this reference from the "Gods and Generals" at Cisco:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/sipproxy/relnotes/
solrelnt.htm
+++++++++++
"Problem: Server Internal Error might be returned in response to a
REGISTER request (CSCds02480)

Problem Description: Occasionally, the Cisco SIP Proxy Server returns a
"500 Server Internal Error" response to a REGISTER request. This problem
occurs primarily during periods of heavy CPU loads and receiving
REGISTER requests at a rate equal to or greater than 10 per second.
Also, this problem is more likely to occur when running a server farm
because the registration information is being updated on multiple
machines. This condition is temporary.

Recommended Action: Reissue the SIP REGISTER request."

Like I said, the SIP server is responding with "Doh!" Any more clues as
to when this happens?

Race "The Tyrant" Vanderdecken