[Asterisk-Users] FRS / FRS/GMRS 2-way radios as SIP clients

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Feb 25 04:49:50 MST 2005

> >Pure guess... in the US, probably treated like rtty?
>
> Interesting thought. There's no 'r' part in the 'tty' part in this case,
> though (unless you were transmitting rtty through VoIP).

What I sort of meant by rtty was the use-restrictions (content) placed
on the use of radio tty by the FCC for ham operators, and if you sort
of draw an analogy between the rtty data stream and voip data stream,
it would imply the voice content of voip packets would fall under those
same FCC limited-use restrictions. Probably a poor analogy from the
olden days, but oh well.

There are likely modulation restrictions in the FRS/GMRS bands that
limit/preclude the use of packetized data, but that's obviously a guess.

> This whole thread opens up all sorts of interesting ideas. Chris A's musings
> are interesting as hell too. My wife's gonna be mad at me tonight because
> I'm going to be staring off into space again...

Rich
kb0nx