[Asterisk-Users] Re: Radio over *

David Josephson dlj at altaphon.com
Thu Feb 24 23:04:23 MST 2005

Pete VK2YX writes

> I've been involved with IRLP for about 5 years and am one of the original
> install team.  I've gone through the emmotions of allowing "other" networks
> connect to IRLP and I know its caused some lots of headache.
>
> As far as a closed network goes, yes there is LOTS of passion to keep it HAM
> only and I'd have to support that notion.  As far as "non-radio" users go,

Me too. But separate IRLP (Dave Cameron's project) from IRLP (the concept). There's nothing preventing someone from using the idea for a non-ham network, in fact there are several already (eQSO for PMR446, the European equivalent of FRS). And Jim Dixon has made a parallel effort "AllStar" using Asterisk. I'm sure there are more. Once again, go look at the app_rpt documentation at http://www.zapatatelephony.org/app_rpt.html and look at the app_rpt right their in your Asterisk distro.

DingoTel is the same sort of thing but with a voice recognition front end and voice activated transmit/receive switching VOX.  I haven't had much luck in applications where one end of the conversation is someone who isn't experienced with VOX.

73 de WA6NMF