[Asterisk-Users] FRS / FRS/GMRS 2-way radios as SIP clients

Peter Illmayer pete at jbo.com.au
Thu Feb 24 21:02:16 MST 2005

Hi Mark

I've been involved with IRLP for about 5 years and am one of the original
install team.  I've gone through the emmotions of allowing "other" networks
connect to IRLP and I know its caused some lots of headache.

As far as a closed network goes, yes there is LOTS of passion to keep it HAM
only and I'd have to support that notion.  As far as "non-radio" users go,
thats another issue.  In the early days, I was WHOLLY against echo-irlp and it
allowing headset users on the network.  IRLP was designed to keep the RF in
Amateur Radio.....

HOWEVER I see the benefits now and have certainly changed my views.  IRLP
**SHOULD** remain the domain of Amateurs **HOWEVER** asterisk has very cool
functionality that could be used in IRLP...

I run IRLP node 6000 and reflector 9500 and of course my own asterisk PBX and
am now what I would consider a VOIP hobbyist......

Asterisk has given me renewed interest

73's Pete..vk2yx