[Asterisk-Users] FRS / FRS/GMRS 2-way radios as SIP clients

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 15:39:44 MST 2005

THere are a number of VOIP links used by ham radio.  "IRLP" has to
be the most popular.  Then there is Echolink, Wires and some others.
My plan was to wrte an Asterisk "channel" driver for each of these
Asterisk then could provide inter-system bridging between the
various ham VOIP networks, the PSTN and VOIP Telepony.

--- Mark Phillips <kc2eni at nyc-ares.org> wrote:

> Aha, I see where you're going with this.
>
> Firstly, why does it have to be SIP? Are you expecting to be able to
> have users pick up the phone and "dial" a radio? If not then there
> are
> loads of VOIP for radio apps out there. Many run under linux. All use
>
> sound card and serial port.
>
> Take a look at eqso.org They have a solution that is free and hooks
> you
> up to a load of other users using whatever radio you choose to use.
>
> Mark, KC2ENI
>
> Glenn Powers wrote:
> > TC wrote:
> >
> >> Any one know of software that allows 2-way radios as VoIP(SIP)
> clients,
> >> besides dingotel's usb & mic cable trick ?
> >> http://www.dingotel.com/2way/requirements2way.asp
> >>
> >> They might be ok if the SIP client was not hardcode to their own
> SIP
> >> proxy
> >> Has anyone tried any hacks to get the 2-way radio SIP client to
> >> regsiter to
> >> a * box.
> >>
> >> hmm chan_frsgmfrs anyone? using the usb/mic cable under linux :)
> >>

> > *The Asterisk <http://www.asteriskpbx.org> app_rpt project
> > The integration of 2-way radio systems and reasonable telephony
> >
> > *http://www.zapatatelephony.org/app_rpt.html
> >
> > cheers,
> > glenn

=====