[Asterisk-Users] Problems with SIP codec selection

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Thu Feb 24 11:20:30 MST 2005

Jamie Neil wrote:

> Is this a bug, by design or is it a problem specific to Xlite?

Neither. Your analysis is correct. When the SIP INVITE comes in, and the
user has not been asked to authenticate yet, the codec settings used are
the "global" ones from the [general] section of sip.conf. This is
necessary because at this point we do not _have_ a user name, there is
no way we can look in a user-specific section for preferences/settings.

Once the user has authenticated, then the codec matching uses the
settings for that user.

However, I think it might be possible to make this work a bit better,
and not bother checking the codecs for matches if all we're going to do
is tell the user to authenticate anyway... I'll look into it.