[Asterisk-Users] asterisk & proxies...

Mat Harris mat.harris at genestate.com
Thu Feb 24 07:23:08 MST 2005

Hi All,

I have no experience with VOIP or SIP, but I am a *nix networking admin for
some years now and I would like to get into working with SIP etc...

I have installed asterisk and configured it to run with 2 software phones.
This works fine, and I can chat between 2 client machines in our office.

Please can anyone point me to any documentation about how to use authentication
to stop unauthorised registration, and how to set up proxies.

My setup currently looks like this:

Desktop machine ===> astersik server ===> desktop machine

and works fine, but I need to expand the setup to calls could be made in either
direction, with a setup like this:

desktop machine ===> asterisk ===> iptables fw ===> router ===> internet
===> router ===> iptables fw ===> desktop machine

obviously this will need some sort of proxy but I have no idea where to start.

Last thing (phew :) I am constantly getting warnings on the console, but I don't
know if I need to worry about them or not:

2005-02-24 15:23:13 WARNING[9750]: chan_sip.c:694 retans_pkt: Maximum retries
exceeded on call a42d...53f at 192.168.12.253 for sqno 102 (non-critical request)

I have googled and search the documentation, but I am afraid it is very sparse...

Many thanks in advance

Mat Harrison

--
Before making criticism, try to walk a mile in their shoes....that way when
you do criticise them, you will be a mile away and wearing their shoes :)

Never knock on Death's door : ring the doorbell and run (he hates that).