[Asterisk-Users] List tips for new subscribers <--sorry for 2 nd post, missed this.

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Wed Feb 23 13:18:53 MST 2005

>The CTO is highly unlikely to know or care about the low level technology
>decisions. It isn't something that bubbles up to his level or pay
>grade.

Unless it's presented to him as a means of doing something faster, better,
more cheaply, better interop etc. Isn't that the value proposition in
Asterisk? Maybe not to the CTO, but the CTO's underling, the second level
manager. Presumably, this guy would have the CTO's ear.

I read an article about CN Rail in Canada which is kind of like Amtrack in
the US. They had Linux trickle in as replacements for DNS servers running
Solaris, I think. Something they paid big bucks for. It was goofy, because
BIND is BIND, right? The biggest resistance was convincing the suits that
this Linux thing wasn't a scam and offered the same featureset and
reliability that Solaris did. Eventually what happened is that the suits
looked around and found out that BIND-Linux was the preferred means of DNS
for the Net, and all of a sudden it was legitimized for them. They started
out with DNS, and eventually they migrated wholesale to Linux.

I see the same thing in the Asterisk context. Mark builds a killer platform.
The geeks go into convulsions of ectasy. They evangelize. The userbase
builds. Slashdot lusers pester you with questions. You answer, they figure
out sip.conf, and then they evangelize. More lusers come along and pester.
You answer, with the patience of Job, then they evengelize. Eventually, a
mainstream effect comes into play, and the platform starts to get mainstream
acceptance. Hopefully, CTO of XYZ sees an article in the Wall Street Journal
(more legitimate than Wired? Depends.) about this thing, and calls up his
batman and says "Find out about this thing" and then at that point Mark can
finally afford his hot tub. (whatever happened to that anyway?)

Sorry about the math. Duh.