[Asterisk-Users] List tips for new subscribers <--sorry for 2nd post, missed this.

Gary G. Hendershot GHendershot at cox.net
Wed Feb 23 13:08:05 MST 2005

The voice of reason speaks ...  Thank you Mr. Critchfield

I have been taken to task on this list for

  1)  top posting ... I still do it because Outlook defaults to it and I
prefer to see the most recent comment in a thread at the top of the page,
not the bottom ... Other are entitled to their opinion and I certainly would
not flame anyone for making me dig to the bottom of the page to see their
comments ...

  2)  posting in HTML ... I like HTML in normal email ... It improved the
appearance ... However, on this issue I bow to public pressure and do my
best to post in plain text ...  However, my system defaults to HTML and it
is possible for me sometimes forget to change format ... It's a shame some
folks have nothing better to do than blast others for minor issues ...

  3)  using a signature line ... the IT guy here at my office insists that
everyone have a signature line ... The legal types insist that we put all
sorts of legal disclaimers at the bottom of each email ... You have no idea
what a pain it was for me get them to let me send email to this list without
the signature line ...

However, I have also gotten some GREAT HELP from this list ... By and large
the help I have gotten has been provided with patience and in the spirit of
one user helping another beat a problem ... Even some of the jerks on the
list have hidden valuable help within their flames ... All in all, I have
found the list to be a great resource ... Without the list and the WIKI I
don't think I ever could have gotten Asterisk running ...

Who am I ???  Just another newbie struggling to get my mind around a fairly
complex piece of software ... I am also the Chief Technical Officer for a
small consulting firm with over 200 active clients ...  I am in a position
to influence buying decisions for about 2500 seats ... Should any of you
care ???  Nope, because my influence will not put a penny in your pocket and
I suspect some out there can influence a lot more seats than I can ... But
pissing me off and others like me wont put a penny in your pocket either ...
Then again there are a lot of folks who are so small, that the only way they
can feel big is to try to make others feel small ...

This thread has been beaten to death ... Next !!!

G.Hendershot