[Asterisk-Users] List tips for new subscribers <--sorry for 2 nd post, missed this.

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Feb 23 12:23:59 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 10:43 -0700, Colin Anderson wrote:
> Mr. Critchfield's part:
>
> First of all, that was an outstanding counterpoint you posted. Time and time
> again, you show that you are the smartest person on the list. I'm not trying
> to kiss your ass (sounds like it though!), it's pretty evident that you are.
> You've also doled out your fair share of flames.

Thank you very much for coming soo close to puckering up for me, but I
am not that high up the pecking order here. I just am vocal and
sometimes can articulate an interesting thought or two. There are some
really smart people here like Steve Underwood who still hangs out in
this list while several others have completely left this list for the
less aggravating -dev list.

I guess that also comes to the point of perceived competence level. I am
willing to chase rabbits(ideas) anywhere they take me and spend large
amounts of time exploring. This leaves me with a fairly broad amount of
information that I can apply to problems I encounter. Thats a
personality trait though. I picked it up from working with my dad who
was similarly inclined to chase ideas down where ever they took him. My
mother is similar, my sister though is different. I have associated with
like minded people since it seemed we all would chase the rabbit. So my
idea of normal is for someone to want to do the research. Anyone not
interested in doing the research therefore is either lazy or otherwise
not normal.

> So that third level manager who does the work gets flamed on the list, and
> exactly the same thing happens - he says to his CTO: "Asterisk is a joke,
> all they do it bitch about HTML emails on the list" and the platform missed
> that opportunity for adoption. Quite true about Fortune 500 and lemmings,
> but let's say, .5% of them are the ones that are innovators. That's 25
> *huge* installs and will answer another noob question on the list: "Where
> are the big Asterisk installs?"

Your math is incorrect. 1% of 500 is 5, and therefore .5% of 500 would
be 2.5 installs. Your also making a wild assumption that it would be
deployed across the board. It would likely be deployed something like
the way VNC was deployed at AT&T, at a location where the people there
had some freedom and the intelligence to do what they wanted to do.
Similarly it is the way linux has found it's way into the fortune 500s,
by those who know what they are doing, just getting the job done. The
CTO is highly unlikely to know or care about the low level technology
decisions. It isn't something that bubbles up to his level or pay
grade.