[Asterisk-Users] List tips for new subscribers

Yair Hakak yhakak at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 07:15:08 MST 2005

ok, not that i'm such an expert myself, but

1. there's a big difference between newbies asking specific question
and the "i want asterisk to run my life, make me coffee, and solve my
problems, does asterisk do that?" questions that are appearing lately.
I'm not a member of the list police and they annoy the hell out of me.

2. many of the "list police" are active in the development process
well, so your remarkably clever comments about the lack of help are
uncalled for and untrue. People will help you, but they won't hold
your hand. If you want your hand held, then hire a consultant.

3. get a gmail account and your search issues on the mailing list are
over. In addition, the remarkable new gmail system doesn't mangle your
email with HTML tags, rendering them readable to all. how
revolutionary. the downside is, no smileys. (oh the horror.).

4.almost everyone here has been quite helpful. once or twice i didn't
follow netiquette (posted once without a subject by mistake) and quite
rightly got called for it. If your ego is so fragile a dressing-down
on a email list from people you don't know bothers you, you have
issues. And specifically in this case, recyclying a subject line that
has nothing to do with your email is just lazy and screws up threads.

seriously, get over it.

-yair