[Asterisk-Users] Amphenol cables?

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Tue Feb 22 07:54:50 MST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Michael Welter wrote:

> Are you aware of the type 66 punch-down block with an AMP-50 connector?
>   Also the "harmonica"--an AMP-50 on one side and 12 RJ11 jacks on the
> other (two pair/jack).

We punched the cable directly to the jacks since that was what we needed.
None of the premade "harmonica" styles had the correct pinout. A
punchdown block would only have added an extra splice.

If the equipment has a suitable pinout then they can be handy
alternatives!

A small side note about RJxx-connectors. The term RJ11 is ambigous when
applied to the physical connector. It is being used to describe both "4
Position Modular Connectors" and "6 Position Modular Connectors". The name
seems to mostly be used for 6p4c and 4p4c. It is best to always specify
the full name, either as
  6 Position Modular Connector, with 4 (or 2) conductors
or
  Modular 6p4c (pr 6p2c)

See http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/cables/cables_jacks.htm.

The RJxx specifies *where pairs* are located in the plug, not which plug
it is.

Peter