[Asterisk-Users] ZAP FXS vs ethernet FXS

Jerry jjones at quiddesign.com
Mon Feb 21 21:18:58 MST 2005

On Feb 21, 2005, at 3:12 PM, Jon Gabrielson wrote:

> What are the advantages/disadvantages of using
> a ZAP FXS port versus using one of the many
> small ethernet FXS devices on the market.  The
> ZAP FXS talks directly to asterisk over PCI.  Is this
> an advantage?  The ethernet devices I assume
> speak either iax2 or sip, does this cripple the
> functionality of the attached FXS device for things
> like callwaiting,callerid,distinctive ring, etc...
>
> Does anyone have experience with both types
> of devices and would recommend one over the
> other?

Using a Zap device you are TDM in and out of the card.

If you are attaching a FAX or an alarm circuit then this is definately
the way to go. Most analog gateways other than the IAXy speak SIP or
MGCP. They do still provide your standard features and then some. For
best results make certain the ethernet links from the gateways to the
server are full duplex and switched, no hubs.

Depending on number of ports required, my preference is to use a
channel bank, not the cheapest solution always but a highly reliable
one.