[Asterisk-Users] Suggestion for noise reduction on Asterisk-Users

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Mon Feb 21 15:13:38 MST 2005

Hello all,

	This might be one for Digium, but I would like to see some type of Wiki
that people would have to wade through before they would get the
information on how to subscribe to the list.

	This wiki should cover most of the basic stuff that gets asked over and
over again just to help reduce the amount of repetition that most of you
have probably noticed takes place here.

	I understand that there is no good way to solve this problem, and
speaking of repetition, it has been covered before.  However, it seems
like list traffic has surged in the last several months and the HUGE
majority of it are questions that usually are answered with a link to
the voip-info.org wiki, because it has been asked before and someone
thought to add it.

	I think that this URL:

http://www.asterisk.org/index.php?menu=support

	Instead of saying "Blah, blah, blah and here are the lists", it should
say something like:

"...Digium is the corporate sponsor of Asterisk.  Support may be
purchased from us, and more information is available here...

Alternatively, free support may be obtained from the wonderful Asterisk
community.  The best starting point is the wiki at voip-info.org [link].
  If your question cannot be answered there, Digium does provide mailing
lists where questions may be answered by members of the community on a
volunteer basis.  Please see [link] for more information."

	Where the second [link] would go to the wiki with clearly-stated posted
guidelines and some kind of whizzbang links that take care of a large
percentage of these typical newbie questions.

	I have nothing against newbies, but I know that I get tired of people
asking the same questions over and over, and sometimes I just don't feel
like saying the same thing that has been said over and over - "go to the
wiki first".  The problem with this is if we don't answer the question,
the person asking the question probably never solves his problem and
possibly ditches Asterisk altogether, or they just bang at it until they
either ditch Asterisk or waste a lot of time in the process.

	How many more times do we have to read posts of "I just downloaded the
Asterisk and now how do I talk on it?"

	Let me know what you think...

--
Kristian Kielhofner