[Asterisk-Users] setting caller id number and using sip type=peer for incomming calles.

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Mon Feb 21 08:58:52 MST 2005

Morgan Gilroy wrote:

> To get around this i updated CVS HEAD and changed the sip entity from
> type=user to type=peer (yes peer!) (type=friend works too but im making
> a point) the client now must register to set his outbound caller*ID Number.

Yes, that is normal. SIP has difficulty separating the remote party
identification from the authentication identification (although it can
be done).

> this seems to be working but it hardly seems correct, i mean using a
> peer for inbound calls when the docs all say it is for outbound calls.

In CVS HEAD, soon _all_ SIP entries will be type=peer, because it's more
logical this way.

> im not up on the sip protocol but wouldn’t it be better if, when
> receiving an unknown connection (ie when caller*ID number is set to a
> pstn number) it first sends an authentication request to the client, on
> return it checks that username/secret against its list of users. if it
> still doesn’t find it then drop it into the guest account.

I believe it can already be configured to work that way, if you disable
access to "guest" connections (I've not tried it, though). Remember also
that it works this way because there are number of providers out there
(Broadvoice being one) that will _not_ authenticate when they send you a
call, only when they register.