[Asterisk-Users] *** Important *** About the bug tracker

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Feb 18 14:33:29 MST 2005

During the last week, we have had several support issues being reported
as bugs on the bug tracker. Since we are going into a final development
stage on version 1.1dev  (CVS HEAD) in order to complete the 1.2 release
we are under pressure to fix bugs and handle a lot of reports in a short
time frame.

Neither the bug tracker or the asterisk-dev mailing list is second-line
support, they're for development of Asterisk - the leading open source PBX!

We will therefore be a bit tougher and close reports that we consider
support matters directly. If you are a bit unsure, mail the mailing
list, find us on the #asterisk-bugs channel on IRC (or #asterisk-dev)
and ask before you report. You will quickly get an answer on whether you
should report or not. There's a lot of people online most of the day and
night to help you. We're a world-wide community :-)

If we close your report, and you think we're wrong, find us on #irc or
mail the list and we will re-consider or re-open.

And please, don't take closure of your bug report personally. We are
just moving forward a bit more quickly than before and want to be able
to manage the bug tracker as a support system for the development group.
We might take wrong decisions - then find us on the irc and we'll
correct this. Our apologies if that happens.

Don't take this as a message to stop reporting bugs. If you find a bug
in CVS head or the latest stable release (1.0.5) it's really important
that we get your report and start fixing the bug.

Finally I wish you a nice weekend. If you have nothing else to do,
please download and test patches on the bug tracker for us :-)
Or, if you haven't done it, install CVS head (v1.1dev) on a system and
test it. It's a marvellous new version of Asterisk with a lot of new
stuff in it, most notably the ARA - the Asterisk Realtime Architecture.

Best regards,
/Olle
...with the bug marshal hat on...