[Asterisk-Users] More asymmetrical call quality discussion

Robert Goodyear me at jrob.net
Fri Feb 18 11:33:08 MST 2005

I've watched the dialogue about how asterisk has to manipulate the
packets from an IAX2 connection to a SIP client. That said, I'm
wondering if a previous problem I've been trying to diagnose could be
related to that process. In short, here's how I describe it:

Outbound:
SIP 7960 > Asterisk > IAX2
Audio is perfect both directions.

Inbound:
IAX2 > Asterisk > SIP 7960 or
SIP > Asterisk > SIP 7960
Caller hears me perfectly.
I hear caller with extreme choppiness. Can make out ~30% of
conversation.

I've tested this with two VoIP providers, same issue. Tested an IAX2
DID from a different area code and THE PROBLEM RESOLVES ITSELF. Others
on this list have reported similar issues which seem to point to the
CLEC who is bridging the call to IP. (I assume that's how it works?
Someone please correct me?) Using ulaw all around. ZTDUMMY is loaded
and modprobe returns nothing.

HYPOTHESIS:
A. Could there simply be a configuration issue with the VoIP provider
where they are interfacing with the PSTN, and thus those calls are
requesting some sort of jitter or trunking protocol that I can't
handle? This seems to be less likely, though, because I can reproduce
the problem by registering the 7960 directly to the provider, bypassing
all my hardware; even my topmost switch in my network.

OR

B. Does anyone think it is in fact a problem with how the CLEC is
giving the call to the VoIP provider? Apparently all DIDs in this area
are serviced by the same CLEC. Does anyone have any theory on what
could cause this?

Thanks,
/rg