[Asterisk-Users] functional difference: canreinvite=yes, no, or update

Freddi Hansen fh at danovation.dk
Fri Feb 18 10:34:35 MST 2005

> From:
> "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at starnetworks.us>
> Date:
> Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:04:35 -0700
>
> To:
> Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
> <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>

> Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>
>> Actually, we could solve Matthew's problem by checking the IP addresses
>> against the localnet setting and checking if both phones are on the
>> same side. If both are within the localnet, we can reinvite. If both
>> are on public side, we can reinvite. But if one is localnet and one
>> is public, we could automagitically disable reinvite.
>

> Yes, that is a start. As long as you are comparing the "perceived"
> addresses (which I know you would be, I'm just clarifying for others
> who are reading this thread), that will work, because it won't matter
> what private addresses the remote peers may be using behind their NATs.
>
> It will still break in bizarre routing scenarios, but people who build
> those networks are used to dealing with stuff like that.
>
>> This should really be the default behaviour if canreinvite=yes and
>> localnet is set to something.
>

> Agreed.

Kevin,
what about letting this logic be followed by a dialplan macro that gets
called to make the decision. May sound weird but we have a 'network-id'
attached to each sip-user.  That network-id contains the public fixed-ip
of the users network plus a unique name. If the network id's is matching
and both users are on their 'home-network' then we do re-invite. This
allows us to deal with special cases where people are behind
double/triple nat a.s.o. . In other words it allows the Asterisk user to
overrule the default behavier.  It's allows us (as an  ITSP) todo a safe
re-invites on known networks to save on customers (and our) bandwith.
Our hack is really ugly and it would be a like a dream to have this
stuff in CVS.
Freddi