[Asterisk-Users] Zaptel Needed

David Uzzell asterisk-list at uzzell.com.au
Thu Feb 17 19:13:39 MST 2005

lonnie at outstep.com wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Can someone please tell me about Zaptel?
>
> Is it only needed if you are going to have an interface card like TDM400P
> installed on the Asterisk server?
>
> Do you really need it if you do not have the interface card?

You don't need to load Zaptel if your not going to run any cards but if
your going to use IAX and/or meetme you will need some form of timming
and that comes from zaptel if you have hardware installed or ztdummy if
you don't have any hardware installed.

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20timer%20ztdummy

ztdummy is a Linux kernel module that will provide your Asterisk with a
Zaptel timer even if you haven't got any Digium hardware installed in
your Linux server.

cheers,

David