[Asterisk-Users] functional difference: canreinvite=yes, no, or update

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Thu Feb 17 15:54:49 MST 2005

Can anyone give an example of the difference between the following:

canreinvite=no
canreinvite=yes
canreinvite=update

Here is the problem: I have an 800 number sent to me via SIP from a national
carrier. Asterisk gets the number and rings my desk phone. Asterisk has 2
NICs, one with public IP and private IP. My phone is on private IP, the
inbound call is on public.

My phone rings and I answer it. Asterisk tries to re-invite the call
(because I have this phone set to canreinvite=yes). The reinvite succedes
but it invites with the internal IP of my phone. So I can't hear the other
person. They can hear me fine.

Is there no way for asterisk to check this before hand? I have no problems
making outbound calls. Even outbound calls to other SIP UAs both in and
outside private networks work fine. The only problem is on this inbound
call.

Thanks,
Matthew