[Asterisk-Users] Having trouble with extensions in an include file and retrieve_extensions_from_mysql.pl

beonice beonice at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 13:18:11 MST 2005

I've finally figured the problem. It turns out that it
had nothing to do with the include file. When I was
commenting out unnecessary extensions in the main
extensions.conf, I commented out the line:
exten => _NXXNXXXXXX,1,Background(welcome) ;

I did not realise (it's not mentioned anywhere) that
this particular extension NEEDS to be handled, but as
soon as I added this line back in, it fixed the
problem. Now I have asterisk reading multiple contexts
happily from the included file, answering the phone
when it rings, and letting me leave myself voicemail.
Very cool.

Could someone explain why this line is so important?
I'm assuming that incoming calls in other countries
will have different patterns for the incoming dialed
number. How does asterisk handle that? Can we add the
explanation to that question into the FAQ somewhere?

Thanks again, everyone!

Cheers,
Maya