[Asterisk-Users] PRI and echocancel

Tobias Jönsson asterisk at tobiasjonsson.se
Thu Feb 17 11:08:12 MST 2005

mattf skrev:

> I checked many sample configs and the archives and noticed that half
> of the people have echocancel on for PRIs and half do not. I checked
> the Digium site and indeed in the FAQ they say: "There should also be
> no echo on PRI connections".

If you need echo cancelling on the PBX PRI depends on the phones used on
that PBX. If they are all digital and they do not introduce any echo you
will not need any echo cancelling.

On the T1 side you will probably need echo cancelling since there might be
an analog phone in the other end.

If you only use PRI in and out on the same asterisk server the delays may
be so short on a bridged call that the echo would not be noticable even if
it is there. That is the way ordinary pstn calls work - there is usually
echo cancellation only on cellular calls or long distance calls.

--
Regards,
Tobias Jönsson, Lund SE