[Asterisk-Users] speech recognition V 2.0

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 12:10:45 MST 2005

> Sphinx and Festival are good projects. The last I worked with sphinx
> was told that it would need modifications to make it more grammar
> aware,
> but that was 2 years ago and things may have improved. If not then
> Sphinx people please let me know when you will add grammars natively
> or
> refer me a grammar based engine.

Sphinx and Festival are in fact the current state of the art.
you are not likely to find anything better.

Sphinx can return a "probibility network".  You can then attempt
to parse paths through the network and use the first path
(searching in probibillity order) that parses correctly.

You can use a LEX/YACC parser and do well enough.  (Get the
O'Reilly LEX/YACC book.  It's easy to use.)  I'm impressed with
YACC's performance.  I have an application with hundres of
grammar rules that runs as fast as UNIX's "wc" utility.

Users _can_ learn the subset of grammer.  Remember the game
"zork" or the other text based adventure games?  People caught
on to the limited subset of English.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com