[Asterisk-Users] Which IP phone to use in Australia

Howard Lowndes lannet at lannet.com.au
Tue Feb 15 20:34:34 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 13:14, Shaun Ewing wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:23:21 +0800, Stuart Elvish <stuart at rage.com.au> wrote:
> > Definitely agree - don't even try using the Grandstream for a
> > receptionist (among other things the phone probably won't hold out
> > physically for more than a few weeks if it makes it that far).
>
> :-)
>
> > They have recently been ticked as well, plus the firmware has become
> > some what stable.... that having been said I am not sure when the last
> > update came out and it does have a couple of "quirks". We have the
> > system "time out" (or send the dialed digit string) after 4 seconds of
> > no dialing which works well - but that depends on the user environment
> > and what they expect from the phone system. The other problem is that
> > Grandstream don't display any type of alpha caller id - they are purely
> > a digit based caller ID presentation (it tries to present an alpha
> > sequence but it doesn't work at all).
>
> The lack of alpha caller ID is a downside. We're using the alpha
> string for all sorts of things, eg: to display the trunk a call came
> in on "Private Line", a queue "QUEUE: Sales", in addition to the name
> of the caller where supported.
>
> It's certainly noticeable when absent.
>
> > Don't get me wrong - they are still the bottom of the range / basic
> > phone IMHO and Cisco do seem to work a lot better, but are also more
> > expensive and my boss won't pay for one.
>
> They are more expensive, which is a downside to the Cisco phones. I
> bit the bullet and bought a few varying models, but it was a bit of a
> financial hit.
>
> I have the final say on company purchases, so there is no boss to contend with.
>
> > What sort of setup is involved for the Cisco as far as config files
> > etc? I am used to plug and play phones (Zyxel, Grandstream, HOP etc)
> > which require minimal configuration and have no licensing issues with
> > them. I know for the Polycom you need to get a TFTP server for XML
> > config files running, and I believe you need something similar for
> > Cisco phones.
>
> You'll need a TFTP server to get the SIP firmware on the phone.
>
> For small deployments you can configure the options on the phone
> itself, but for anything more than 2 phones, I'd recommend a TFTP
> server.

With a working HOP 1002 phone they have their own web server inbuilt and
you can upgrade the firmware with that.  Mind you, on a couple of
occasions, particularly when trying to upgrade the firmware remotely,
it's screwed up and I had to reset back to default and use the Palmtool
software (Windows only - barf) to fix things up.

> > Stuart
>
> -Shaun
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates;
Your Linux people <http://www.lannetlinux.com>
"When you just want a system that works, you choose Linux;
when you want a system that just works, you choose Microsoft."