[Asterisk-Users] Which IP phone to use in Australia

Stuart Elvish stuart at rage.com.au
Tue Feb 15 18:23:21 MST 2005

Definitely agree - don't even try using the Grandstream for a
receptionist (among other things the phone probably won't hold out
physically for more than a few weeks if it makes it that far).

They have recently been ticked as well, plus the firmware has become
some what stable.... that having been said I am not sure when the last
update came out and it does have a couple of "quirks". We have the
system "time out" (or send the dialed digit string) after 4 seconds of
no dialing which works well - but that depends on the user environment
and what they expect from the phone system. The other problem is that
Grandstream don't display any type of alpha caller id - they are purely
a digit based caller ID presentation (it tries to present an alpha
sequence but it doesn't work at all).

Don't get me wrong - they are still the bottom of the range / basic
phone IMHO and Cisco do seem to work a lot better, but are also more
expensive and my boss won't pay for one.

What sort of setup is involved for the Cisco as far as config files
etc? I am used to plug and play phones (Zyxel, Grandstream, HOP etc)
which require minimal configuration and have no licensing issues with
them. I know for the Polycom you need to get a TFTP server for XML
config files running, and I believe you need something similar for
Cisco phones.

Stuart

On Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005, at 06:55 Australia/Perth, Shaun Ewing wrote:

> The Grandstream is useless for any serious calling, and would not be
> recommended for a receptionist. We've had it do all sorts of nasty
> things including putting a call on hold indefinitely when trying to
> transfer. One particular version of the firmware also caused problems
> with our network. It's also necessary to press "send" after dialing a
> number (or wait for the timeout). No A-Tick either.

Stuart Elvish
Business Development Manager
TNet.com.au - Becoming Australia's Favourite Internet SERVICE Provider

Mobile Telephone 	0433 133 601 (+61 433 133 601)
Email Address 		stuart.elvish at tnet.com.au

Direct Telephone 	08 9221 7874 (+61 8 9221 7874)
Office Telephone 	1300 661 NET (1300 661 638)
Direct Facsimile 	0433 133 598 (+61 433 133 598)
Office Facsimile 	08 9221 3864 (+61 8 9221 3864)

information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be
copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party. If you are
not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and
any attachment and all copies and inform the sender. Thank you.