[Asterisk-Users] A hypothetical question...

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Tue Feb 15 16:52:51 MST 2005

Rod,

I know this is an Asterisk mailing list, but for larger installations,
you should probably go with one of the larger commercial vendors.

For a purely routing network, I would use Cisco routers and switches.
I'm recommending 28xx series routers to my customers at the minute;
they're very flexible and powerful, at quite a reasonable price. They
can take a huge variety of interface cards, can talk SIP, H.323, MGCP,
and have a VoiceXML browser built in. Avaya or Siemens would also be
acceptable.

For an office network with both routing and IP handsets, I would
definitely use a Cisco Call Manager (CCM) cluster. I've worked on a
number of CCM projects within IBM, the largest being 2500 users. This
was on 2 redundant Call Manager clusters, plus assorted routers for PSTN
and IVR access over T1s, and PoE switches for all the handsets. It works
very successfully, and IBM are rolling out CCM at all new sites.

My company, Integrics Ltd, does installations of, and development for,
Cisco equipment including VoIP routing and CCM. Drop me an email or give
me a call if you have more detailed questions.

Alistair Cunningham,
Integrics Ltd,
Telephony, Database, Unix consulting worldwide
+44 (0)7870 699 479
http://integrics.com/