[Asterisk-Users] E1 and/or Euro-ISDN specifications?

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Tue Feb 15 15:30:48 MST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Daniel Nyström wrote:

> Peter Svensson wrote:
>
> | On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Daniel Nyström wrote:
> |
> |> Where can I get E1 and/or Euro-ISDN specifications/data sheets?
> |> Are there specs for other E./G./Q./etc. protocols as well?
> |

> | The specifications are built one on top of another. Each just lists
> | the changes and clarifications relative to the underlaying
> | specification. E.g. for the Swedish incumbent operator Telia you
> | have:
> |
> | * Telia ISDN Notes for Suppliers * ETSI specifications (e.g. ETSI
> | ETS 300 403 01 etc) * ITU specifications (e.g. Q.931, Q.921 and
> | lots and lots of others)
> |
> | The Telia implementation specification is free, as are the ETSI
> | specification (at least for some uses). The ITU specifications are
> | a bit expensive, but you can download three for free.
> |
> | Most of the time the ITU specifications are at the "bottom level",
> | but not always.

> What's exactly Euro-ISDN? Is it G.931? I don't really get this.
> Is there a Q/G/E document for Euro-ISDN?
> I've downloaded two out of three fron ITU, so I would like to know for
> sure! :)

EuroISDN is actually the name given to the Memorandum of Understanding
(MoU) signed 1989 by several of the largest pstn operators in Europe. It
prescribes a common implemenation of isdn. The itu specifications leave a
lot of implementation specific settings. Instead of each operator
providing their own isdn specification (or that of their switch supplier)
equipment would interoperate all over Europe. The standards are published
by ETSI.

Isdn is a collection of signalling specifications and other telecom
specifications. The basic signalling is specified in q.921 (lower level)
and q.931 (call setup etc). Others include q.956 (Advice Of Charge) which
in turn references about ten other ITU standards.

The EuroISDN specifications based on these ITU specifications are ETSI ETS
300 403 01 for q.931 and several others and can be downloaded from
www.etsi.org. Where these are based on an ITU specification only the
differences are included in the ETSI specification.

To work on isdn implementations, especially the more advanced features
such as ROSE invokes etc you need a quite large set of ITU specifications,
ETSI specifications and likely some from your pstn operator as well.

Peter