[Asterisk-Users] Digium Cards connecting to BT

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Mon Feb 14 07:57:01 MST 2005

Brett, Gary wrote:

>Hi there
>
>Just a general question, has anybody experienced any problems with any Digium telephony cards in the UK, specifically with BT (British Telecom) lines. I just want to make sure there are no compatibility issues before purchasing cards, (mainly TDM400P's)
>
>Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Can't comment on the UK, but you should be aware that the TDM400 is
pretty insistent about PCI 2.2, and the FXS module does NOT provide a
ground start configuration. Not a problem if you want just a POTS phone
connected, but if you were to attempt to set up a two way trunk to a
conventional PBX, you can only provide a loop start line. SOME versions
of Asterisk had the loop pulse function not working as well.

Perhaps none of this matters to you, but several collectors are
attempting to use the Asterisk box as an interface to interconnect our
old switches via the internet, and find the support for such basic
telephony somewhat lacking.
Interestingly enough, it seems the chipset used on the TDM 400 module
supports a ground start configuration, but Digium chose not to make that
available.

John Novack