[Asterisk-Users] Re: card dialer phone

David Josephson dlj at altaphon.com
Mon Feb 14 01:27:36 MST 2005

Rob at draughon.org writes

>	I recently obtained a Western Electric multi-line phone and am
>seeking help with getting this beast working with *.
>
>	The interesting stuff in my * implementation consists of a T100P
>card, a TDM400P card, and an Adtran TA750 channel bank with three quad-port
>FXS modules and a quad-port FXO. The TA750 is wired to a 24-port Cat 5 patch
>panel via a 25-pair Amp cable.
>
>	The phone is a model 2662A1M; it has five lines, a hold button (I
>presume), card dialer capability, and a 25-pair Amp cable for connecting to
>The Phone System. (The card dialer feature, IMHO, scores major geek points.
>If you're not familiar with it, you take a special plastic card about the
>size of a credit card and punch out two tiny discs for each digit in a phone
>number. When it's time to call that number, you insert the card in the
>phone, take the handset off hook, push the "START" button, and--voila!--the
>phone speed dials your party.)

Jerry has already posted the basics -- this is a traditional "fat wire
key system" phone and will work with either 1A1 or 1A2 key equipment.
The first pair is tip and ring, the second pair is A-lead control, the
third is for the light. When you press the hold key, the A-lead is
disconnected first; when you release the hold key, the line button pops
out which disconnects tip and ring. The key telephone unit (KTU) card in
the key service unit (KSU) chassis detects this sequence and puts a
holding bridge on the line and changes the lamp from steady to winking.
There is a group of telephone collectors putting together Asterisk boxes
who will be able to fill you in on all relevant details, see
www.ckts.info and join the list at