[Asterisk-Users] Mobile Wireless IP Phone

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Sun Feb 13 10:22:38 MST 2005

On 12 Feb 2005, at 19:46, eric m wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I would like to have feedback on wireless (wifi / 802.11b) IP phone to
> use
> with Asterisk PBX.  Can you sugest model, The best and also the worst
> use.

I've been using the Zyxel P2000 for a month or so now.
I was going to deploy several of them around the office, but
after living with it for a while I'm not so sure.

Good points:
	1) it is light, feels fine and sounds fine (*)
	2) it looks unthreatening and it works.
	3) it is relatively cheap.
	4) it gets on ok with *
Bad points:
	1) The UI is a disaster. I (often) press digits too fast for it
(This is unforgivable in a phone....)
	2) It (almost) always swallows the first digit 'unlocking' itself.
	3) Configuring WEP keys is a royal pain but you only do this a few
times
	4) the web gui is odd, but usable in IE (only)
	5) picking it up off the charger doesn't auto-answer,
you learn this quite quickly when you put it to your ear
between rings and then it rings again. (talk about loud!)

(*) it took a fair amount of work to get to the point where the sound is
acceptable, you need either:
	ulaw and no WEP
or
	G729 and wep

Basically the chip doing WEP can't cope with 8k/s ulaw,
but using g729 slows the data rate
down enough for it to keep up.

in a WLAN where asterisk is 'near' you seem to get better results by
turning
the packet sizes down, it is shipped tuned for internet use.

In essence I think that the phone would be ok with a 50% faster CPU,
but I guess the weight and power figures would suffer.

So _definitely_ don't buy a box load until you have tried one
for a while.

Tim