[Asterisk-Users] Initializing two ISDN cards in isdn4linux

Junk Mail junkmail at segurajuda.dyndns.org
Sat Feb 12 09:08:46 MST 2005

PROBLEM SOLVED !!!! (read the rest)

>> Weird. That's all I did to get my two Fritz! cards working.
>> Only did the modprobe.

Er... that's really not enough (in this case, at least).
Asterisk will only be happy with the initialization when you can see all
four channels listed in the "imon" utility (from the isdn4k-utils package).
At that point you can fool around with /dev/ttyI0...3 in the minicom as
described in the
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+ISDN4Linux page and asterisk will be
happy.
Only modprobe alone won't do that !

>> Are you sure your * modem.conf is setup correctly ?

Yes, that's important. My modem.conf includes this :
group=1
msn=41
incomingmsn=41,2*******4
device => /dev/ttyI0
device => /dev/ttyI1
device => /dev/ttyI2
device => /dev/ttyI3

>> I remember I installed isdnutils package, but only to be
>> able to see calls in /var/log/isdn/isdnlog
>> Everytime I started the isdnutils it complained about no
>> configs. So my guess is you dont need to fiddle around with
>> isdntool.

I still don't know HOW "isdntool" does the initialization of the ISDN
system, however, after fiddling some more with "isdntool" I found out that
it let's me write my own modprobe command.
That's how I solved the problem :
--> Ran "isdntool"
--> Selected "ISDN-Settings : View / Edit"
--> Selected "Hardware"
--> Selected "Teles PCI"
--> But instead of accepting the default modprobe prompted, I wrote the
correct one.

After this, "isdntool" "did it's thing" and I started Asterisk, who was now
answering calls on all four channels.

>> My experience is limited to pci devices tho, dont know if
>> you have ISA or pci.

Like I said -- two equal Teles PCI cards. One bought in 1996 and other
bought in 1998.
At a time I was about the throw out both of them; but now I'm tempted to buy
a used one from anyone who wants to sell.   :)

Thank you for the help !

Best Regards

Miguel Gonçalves