[Asterisk-Users] Why echo occurs

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Feb 12 01:47:11 MST 2005

Eric Bishop wrote:

>Just out of interest,
>
>When echo occurs (the type where I hear myself echoing as I talk) what
>is bouncing against. Is it the other caller's equipment, the central
>office or something in between?

With 2-wire analogue line you will have echo from the hybrid at the
local exchange.

If the far end has a 2-wire analogue line you will have echo from the
hybrid in their phone.

Whatever kind of phone is at the other end there will be echo from the
acoustic coupling between earpiece and mic (in cellular phones and IP
phones this is usually eliminated by a local echo canceller).

If you try to cancel these echos at your end it will only work if the
path has a precisely constant length. If the path length  changes (e.g.
the far end is an IP phone), the echo canceller's training will keep
falling apart. If the path length is constant, and the canceller well
training it should do a very good job of eliminating the echo from the
local analogue loop. It won't give more than about 30dB of suppression
of the echo from beyond the A-law/u-law section of the link, due to the
inherent distortion of the codec. It is normally necessary to suppress
small residual signals to avoid hearing a weak echo from the distant
phone when its user is silent.

Regards,
Steve