[Asterisk-Users] asterisk@home scary log

Don Murray donm at ptgrey.com
Fri Feb 11 16:02:07 MST 2005

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 01:26:25PM -0600, Rich Adamson wrote:

<snip>

>>The bottom line for those asterisk readers that have actually read this
>>far is to use complex & lenthy passwords where possible, and some sort of
>>alerting mechansim when xx number of passwords are guessed incorrectly
>>(such as an account lockout mechanism with alerts as just one of many
>>available choices).
>>

>I tend to disagree with you regarding the exact length.
>
>An alerting mechanism is there, in the logs. Most linux distros have
>some nice log watchers. However it still requires that someone actually
>monitors them, as boring as it is.

Can anyone recommend a watching tool for this?  I know I can write a
script myself but if there is a convenient Linux method that is
prepackaged, that would be good.  Specifically nice would be a mechanism
like the one referred to above:

"some sort of
alerting mechansim when xx number of passwords are guessed incorrectly
(such as an account lockout mechanism with alerts as just one of many
available choices)."

Incidentally, I know this thread is somewhat off topic but it has been very helpful to me and since reading it I have checked my /var/log/secure logs and found that our system has been scanned for ssh-password guessing several times over the last few months.  So thanks!

Don