[Asterisk-Users] asterisk@home scary log

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Fri Feb 11 03:47:56 MST 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 11:44:37AM -0600, Steven Critchfield wrote:

> I know for a fact that Debian does NOT allow
> root logins except from console. Debian isn't allowing root logins
> from X anymore due to the likely hood for you to try and use root for
> more than administration.

Debian does not disable root logins on ssh by default, at least not in
testing (Sarge) in the package ssh. I don't know about other sshds

gdm disables root login. I don't know about other DMs.

telnetd and rshd both use login and login's pam file checks the
securetty module, so root login is indeed disabled for them.

(The latter two are quite standard among linux distros).

> I know Mandrake does annoying things if you try to login as root on
> anything but console to also discourage it's use.

SuSE uses a cute annoyance (or used, in one version) :
if you login as root, your default wallpaper is a scary red bomb with a
lit fuse. I hopes that this delivers the message.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | New signature for new address and  |  VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | new homepage                       | a Mutt's