[Asterisk-Users] Searchable Mailing Lists & NooB Question

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Feb 10 20:44:50 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 17:30 -0800, Geoff Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:11:38 -0600, Steven Critchfield
> <critch at basesys.com> wrote:
> >
> > You are joking right? You think you are going to do any voice over a
> > link that is half of the bandwidth of a phone call and you think you
> > will have a webserver and jabber server on it.
> >
> > Even using GSM codec, you will probably only get 1 call to work when
> > nothing else is working. Last I checked FWD only accepted G729 and ulaw.
> > You will never get ulaw across that link and you will have to purchase a
> > G729 license.
> >
> I'm new to *.  Hence the question.  If it's a bother, no need to hit
> the reply button.

Being new doesn't excuse lack of effort.

> >From your answer then, am I to assume no one is running * servers on a
> standard DSL line?

Yeah, "standard" DSL, what a joke. With all the speeds listed around as
being DSL, and the throw away gmail account, we couldn't determine if
you where speaking about a deployment in the US or better developed
countries where we needed to pay attention to the capitalization of your
'b' or if you where in a less developed area where DSL rollouts actually
where of similar speed to dialup.

BTW, bandwidth is pretty much always referred to in bits as it is a nice
high number and make marketing people very happy. Add to that the fact
that the encoding determines if it takes 8 or 10 bits to actually
transmit a byte down the line.

On my Comcast account back when we did VoIP in my home, we could squeeze
2 concurrent gsm encoded calls down the 128k upstream. At the moment the
3rd concurrent call came up, lag would start setting in and eventually
all calls where useless.

Of course you also couldn't browse the web very much if more than one
call was in progress either.

Once you get some time to start looking around you will find there has
been several people write up nice little graphs showing what protocols
using what codecs use what bandwidth. Then you can do the math on how
much you think you want to get accomplished. You will probably find out
that you still can't do much on the link outbound and have a call in
place at the same time. So you probably want to still turn off the
webserver and jabber server, they would be better off coloed anyways and
there are a lot of cheap colo places for non critical hosting.