[Asterisk-Users] No dialtone in a E1

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Thu Feb 10 17:09:39 MST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Marco Castillo wrote:

> Hi, I'm having a little problem when trying to make a call from asterisk. I
> connect a SIP phone to asterisk, and in the asterisk box I have a TE110P
> card connected to a E1. When a SIP client makes a call through the E1, I
> received no dialtone in the SIP client.
> In the same manner, when somebody from the POTS network makes a call to a
> SIP client (through * and the E1) he doesn't receive the apropiate tone of
> call progress. Does anyone has some ideas about this?

Are you talking about an ISDN E1 or another form of E1?

On isdn dialtone is an optional feature of the specification and there are
many implementations of isdn. I think it is mandatory on EuroISDN. Since
asterisk normally generates the dialtone itself there should be little
nead for the dialtone from the pstn. We use the dialtone from the network
ourselves, but asterisk could provide it as well.

In band call progress is also a feature of the net on isdn. If the net
does not provide it you will have to do so yourself. Just add the proper
options to Dial to generate ringback and if the call fails you generate
the matching sound (Busy etc).

Peter