[Asterisk-Users] asterisk@home scary log

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Thu Feb 10 09:36:09 MST 2005

> IMO, your best defence is leaving ssh's default setting
> which disallows root logins entirely.  There's no reason
> for a remote user to ever have to log in as root.  Root
> access should be obtained by a logged-in normal user
> using sudo, or su.

I'm not sure what happens when you do a fresh compile and
install of OpenSSH, but every distro I've ever worked with
(Red Hat, Gentoo, Slackware, Vector, Tao, Yellow Dog,
Debian, Knoppix, SuSe, Linspire, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Darwin,
OS X) has allowed root logins via SSH by default.  Maybe
they're changing that on newer versions of some distros.
I dunno.

But yes, make a strong password, and only login as a normal
user.  Do sudo's or su's to root once logged in.

I can't imagine totally disabling SSH on an Asterisk
machine!