[Asterisk-Users] asterisk@home scary log

Peter Bowyer peeebeee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 09:16:59 MST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:47:22 -0600, Steven Critchfield
<critch at basesys.com> wrote:

> And not to disparage the creator/maintainer of Asterisk at home, but you
> really need to trust that your install was a little hardened before
> placing it on the network.

Indeed. The default root password for a from-scratch Asterisk at Home is
very, very easy to guess. And I don't recall having the option to
change it during the install, either, so I guess there are several
hundreds (thousands?) of *@Home boxes out there with the same weak
password.....

(Yes, I do know how to change a root password post-install.. but the
point is that the typical target user of such a hands-free product
probably doesn't)

Peter