[Asterisk-Users] Manager API - Call Transfer/Blind Transfer

Sascha E. Pollok asterisk-users at pollok.net
Thu Feb 10 01:30:51 MST 2005

Good morning folks,

I am quite new to Asterisk but have successfully set it up
with some BRI lines, Cisco 7940/7960, queues, voicemail, XML
stuff and the flash operator panel. When playing with the
manager API to get some stuff integrated within our systems,
I stumbled across the Redirect command and the way it is
working.

Generally, there is a difference between Transfers and
Blind Transfers of calls, right? With transfers the
"transfering one" calls the destination while the original
caller is on hold. Then, as soon as the "transfering one"
hangs up, the call will be redirected.

With blind transfers, the call gets immediately redirected.
The "transfering one" gets hung up and the original caller
hears the ring. This is what the manager API's redirect
command is working like. It simply redirects the channel
to another extension, correct?

The question is, how to achieve what I call a "transfer"?
Any way to implement the "hold - call-destination - hangup -
redirect" behaviour through the manager API? I thought
about doing something within the context in the extensions
definitions but I feel like this would not be working.

If this has been asked before - sorry :-) Simply point
me to the right month in the archives, I will do the rest ;-)

Cheers
Sascha