[Asterisk-Users] Startup Question

Daniel Wright dw at wonderwave.net
Wed Feb 9 20:45:32 MST 2005

Anton Krall wrote:

>Guys, Im new to asterisk and voip but Im have a couple of questions
>regarding the initial setup.
>
>1. Im going to install an asterisk server at home, where I have 2 phone
>lines, what kind of card do I need to get? I was thinking about 2 X100P
>Cards, so 1 can have 2 FXO ports and regarding phones, what else do I need?
>Ive seen the Grandstream HandyTone HT-286, I guess that servers as and FXS
>devide for attaching analog phones right? Any phone? Is it better to use
>those or use IP Phones?

Look into the TDM400P card with two FXO modules. It is made by digium.
You can have up to 4 modules of any kind,FXO or FXS, so you could even
put two FXS
modules so you have to inside extensions for your regular telephones.
You could also just use 2 FXO modules to connect to the POT lines, and
go with a sip
 hard or softphones for the inside extentions. I have not had any
experience with any software or hardware sip phones yet.   I  am
currently researching the hardphones so I can get  my hands dirty with sip.

>The software solution for voip like sokol's one seems a bit unstable due to
>winxp limitations :) so Im thniking about going the HW way.. What do you
>think? Are those IAX compatible?

Not sure

>2. I checked stuff about IAXNet and FWD, but Im still unclear as to what
>really FWD is? And how does it help you on? For example, Im in Mexico City,
>can I setup my asterisk box and for example, how can I use it so that I can
>make calls to the US by using a US dialtone? Of what does FWD really does?
>Is it a network of asterisk boxes connected to each other so FWD users can
>talk to each other? Or is it a network with POTS line that can help you get
>international dialouts?
>
>Thank you for your patience as I can imagine this has been asked a lot of
>times :(

I believe that FWD is a database of users who have accounts so asterisk
know how to route calls to other FWD users. Not sure if it will provide
a US dialtone.
For that you can look at
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Service+Providers for a provider of that.

Good luck in your endevors, and welcome to the world of asterisk.

Dan