[Asterisk-Users] Re: load balancing 20 asterisk servers

Gary Stimson lists at zedcore.com
Wed Feb 9 13:15:27 MST 2005

On Wednesday 02 February 2005 23:38, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2005, at 0:03, Miguel Ruiz Velasco Sobrino wrote:
> > --- asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com wrote:
> >> The DNS approach does not handle single or multiple system failures,
> >> only very elementary load balancing over a lengthy period of time.
> >
> > Are you shure of that? I'm aware that the load criteria is trickier,
> > but very possible.
>
> Operating systems and probably a lot of devices *cache* the results of
> DNS lookups. That means removing A records won't do any good.

If you give the DJBDNS name server multiple IPs for the same machine, it will
return a set of 8 at random. Won't Windows (and hardphones??) then try those
in order until they succeed? If the address they reach later becomes
unavailable, will the be bright enough to try the other addresses?

The hard phones must surely expire their DNS cache at some point?

Gary