[Asterisk-Users] Startup Question

Anton Krall akrall-lists at intruder.com.mx
Wed Feb 9 12:46:41 MST 2005

Guys, Im new to asterisk and voip but Im have a couple of questions
regarding the initial setup.

1. Im going to install an asterisk server at home, where I have 2 phone
lines, what kind of card do I need to get? I was thinking about 2 X100P
Cards, so 1 can have 2 FXO ports and regarding phones, what else do I need?
Ive seen the Grandstream HandyTone HT-286, I guess that servers as and FXS
devide for attaching analog phones right? Any phone? Is it better to use
those or use IP Phones?

The software solution for voip like sokol's one seems a bit unstable due to
winxp limitations :) so Im thniking about going the HW way.. What do you
think? Are those IAX compatible?

2. I checked stuff about IAXNet and FWD, but Im still unclear as to what
really FWD is? And how does it help you on? For example, Im in Mexico City,
can I setup my asterisk box and for example, how can I use it so that I can
make calls to the US by using a US dialtone? Of what does FWD really does?
Is it a network of asterisk boxes connected to each other so FWD users can
talk to each other? Or is it a network with POTS line that can help you get
international dialouts?

Thank you for your patience as I can imagine this has been asked a lot of
times :(