How do I match a "D"? (Was: RE: [Asterisk-Users] In-band disconn ect problem (legacy PBX) - asterisk doesn't hear the touchtone?)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Wed Feb 9 09:53:14 MST 2005

Paul Rodan wrote:

> I know that the Cisco 7960's support entering alpha letters, and it could
> potentially do it (maybe), but how does the average end user enter an a b c
> or d from their touchtone phone?

They don't. Most phones (99.9%) don't have any way to generate DTMF A
through D. There are test sets that do, and of course softphones could
easily do so. These tones could also be generated by automated
applications, although I don't know why one of them would be talking to
Background() on an Asterisk server...