[Asterisk-Users] SER Interaction: Agents and Extensions

Michael Welter mike at introspect.com
Tue Feb 8 16:19:16 MST 2005

brett-asterisk at worldcall.net wrote:

> I think you might be missing the point here. SER is a raw SIP processor.
> So for a second throw everything you know about Asterisk + SIP out the
> window and go back to vanilla SIP. Getting used to a B2BUA in the call
> path kinda beats some of the raw power of SIP up. Think of how a SIP URI
> is formed. That domain portion is kinda like a context, right?
> furthermore, SER can "do stuff" with that.
>
> I'm doing my own eval with SER for a very large deployment. But I'm just
> getting started. I had SER running about a year ago, but it's been about
> that long since I really toyed with it.
>
> One of the call flows I'm about to try is:
> PSTN GW -> SER -> Asterisk "Transfer"/re-invite -> SER -> Phone
>
> The idea is that SER manages my PSTN gateway. I can always just stack
> more Asterisk servers on, SER I'll never really need to expand (there is
> a redundant SER Server, removing the need for clustering).  Then the
> call gets "sent" to asterisk for smart call processing, however actual
> setup of the media gets resent back to SER. I'm not sure if I'll be able
> to do this, but  I may be able to do it with re-invites. Any thoughts?
> -Brett

SER newbie here.  Why do you need Asterisk for Sip->SIP setup?  And if
there is a reinvite, is that for the RTP stream only or for the SIP
transactions as well?  Will you lose the BYE transaction if there is a
reinvite?

Also, how many SIP registrations do you expect to maintain on each SER box?

Mike