[Asterisk-Users] How to number extensions - Which way is best?

brett-asterisk at worldcall.net brett-asterisk at worldcall.net
Tue Feb 8 15:11:57 MST 2005

Tim Burt wrote:

>PLUS...
>Numbering your extensions in the "100" to "119" range (or for larger
>environments 1000 to 1199) will provide the cleanest interface.  This is
>because a leading 1 indicates a long distance call, and the number
>following a leading 1 cannot be a "0" or a "1" for long distance.
>Therefore, asterisk can determine with the second digit dialed that you
>are dialing an extension, and not a long distance number.

Just a general comment.. Slightly OT, but others might find it
interesting. The ORIGINAL intention of leading a phone number with a "1"
was NOT a toll indication. In fact, it was explicitly NOT a toll
indicator. Rather it was an indicator that 10 digits would follow. It
just happened that that _typically_ a 10 digit phone number was a toll
call. Given that and the natual evolution of the network, the original
meaning was bastardized.

Keep in mind that this whole concept of "toll" is largely a business
decision. So are "calling areas". Rate centers, NPA/NXX, NPA, LATA all
do NOT indicate any kind of toll arrangement. Typically calling areas
are made up of groups of rate centers. And even then there are very
complicated tables of what calling areas include what rate centers and
for what direction the call is going (into or out of the rate center).
That topped with "metro" lines make this a particular confusing topic.

Personally a "1" at the begining of a phone number is of no use to me.
So for domestic LD, I just toss it out the window regardless of the toll
condition.

Here's a thought. A user is dialing a local number (local for them) but
accidently dials it 1+.. Is it LD?
-Brett